Switzerland: Is there a need for an introduction for this beautiful country? Its heaven on earth! Simple… I don’t think I can find any other adjective to describe it! Its gorgeous!
Now this post is about Mt Titlis so will stick to that for now. Will write another post on Switzerland travel.
So, Titlis is the highest mountain in the portion of the Uri Alps north of the Susten Pass.
The adventurous journey to Mt. Titlis is one hair-raising and unforgettable 45 minutes long ride to the top, switching three different cable cars, the ride is nothing short of awe-inspiring as you’ll witness the scenery change from green meadows and scenic lakes to snow clad mountains.
The last leg of the ride is on the famous Rotair, which is the world’s first revolving cable car that offers beautiful panoramic views of the surrounding glaciers, mountains and scenery. Once atop Mt. Titlis, what awaits visitors is breathtaking views of the Alps from either the sun terrace or from the famous “south face window” of the mountain. However, there’s more. There is a thrilling ride on the famous ‘Ice Flyer’ along with the snow park (weather permitting).
It is a lifetime experience. Things that you need to do there:
- Titlis Cliff Walk: Elevation 3,020 meters and a 500 meter drop: the thrill of crossing a bridge with these is not a joke man! It is spectacular hanging bridge. Crossing this suspension bridge requires nerves but it is one hell of an experience!
- Titlis ice flyer: You have to experience this! It is little scary but trust me, it will be one of the best experiences of your life. The view of the glacier crevasses is spectacular from the flyer! At more than 3’000 meters, a breathtaking view unfolds.
- Titlis Glacier Cave: The snow covered cave is beautifully done in a dim turquoise-blue light. Its a magical world of ice! This glacier cave forms the frosty heart of Titlis. The ice here is up to 5,000 years old. The cave’s 150-metre-long walkway descends ten metres below the surface of the glacier. The temperature inside the cave remains a frosty -1.5˚C. There is no extra charge for going into the caves and its open all the year round
There are several shops and restaurants there so do not worry about anything. Several hiking trails start or end at the mid station of the cable car, Trübsee. One can walk to the Trübsee and combine that with a visit to the Titlis. In Summers specially, there are many activities that takes place near Trübsee. You can enjoy the spectacular zipline or rent a rowing boat to explore the Trübsee, the lake near the mid station.
But please do the booking in advance for the activities.
- Check the weather forecast beforehand as there is no point in going up there if the mountain is covered with clouds.
- Dress in multiple thick layers – it is very very cold there! Infact take an extra jacket with you. Note that it can be very windy at the top. Wear solid non-slippery shoes rather boots. Take along gloves, sun glasses and perhaps a winter sports hat.
- Keep atleast 2-3 hours to visit the Titlis. This does not include the time to get there. It’s either a day trip or half a day trip.
- The Titlis station is located at an altitude of 3000 mts! It is advisable to take things slow and sit down for a while in between activities.
So, what are you waiting for? Plan your next trip to Switzerland now and do not forget to include Mt. Titlis in your itinerary! And yes, do comment and tell me about your trip 🙂